All research that involves human subjects requires review and approval by a Research Ethics Board (REB) in accordance with the Tri-Council Policy Statement before the research is started.
Review is required for:
- Research involving human remains, cadavers, tissues, biological fluids, embryos or fetuses.
- Observation of human behaviour in a natural environment
- Use of identifiable data
Review is not required for:
- Research about a living individual involved in the public arena, or about an artist, based exclusively on publicly available information, documents, records, works,performances, archival materials or third-party interviews.
- Quality assurance studies, performance reviews or testing within normal educational requirements
- Publicly available reports, literature, STATS CAN data