For the Fall 2020 remote term, USask is suspending its use of a fully licensed version of TopHat as of September 2nd, 2020. In the Winter 2020 remote term, we found a drastic reduction in use of TopHat, which would cost the university $100,000 next year without a pause. Using the TopHat survey data, usage data, and cost comparisons, TLSE and ICT have made the decision to redirect the subscription fee to software designed to support remote instruction.
What if I want to keep using TopHat?
You have two options:
- You can use TopHat basic for free (with either Blackboard or Canvas) which includes basic polling and attendance features but it does not have a gradebook integration. You can still ask questions and have students answer them as formative assessment.
- If, on review, you feel the basic version of Top Hat will not meet your needs please contact Ryan Banow to explore the option of accessing a fee-based version of the tool.
Is TopHat gone for good?
We were in the process of reviewing the contract renewal with TopHat during the 2019-20 academic year when the pandemic was declared. This will be further reviewed in the coming months and instructors will have the opportunity to participate in the consultation process. We are committed to continued options for polling software that support formative assessment and active learning in large classrooms.
I’d like to speak to someone about this decision. Who can I talk to?
- For alternatives for formative assessment, please contact Ryan Banow at GMCTL
- For more information about the selection process, please contact Amanda MacKenzie in ICT
- To provide feedback, please contact Wendy James at GMCTL