When importing data to create EPA maps, programs are required to upload a contextual variable template to provide contextual variable response options (e.g. case complexity: low, medium, high). In addition to this information, programs will need to add specific details about any procedures included in their contextual variable response options. This additional information, called procedure attributes, plays an important part in building procedure assessment forms. Think of the procedure attributes as assessment criteria (e.g. obtained informed consent, appropriately directed assistants, etc.) for each procedure .
For each procedure in your program, you must define headings, rubrics and list items that may be used to assess a learner completing the procedure. Headings appear at the top of a form, rubric becomes the subtitle of a rubric, and list items are the things that will actually be assessed on the rubric.
All this information must be stored and uploaded in a CSV spreadsheet that uses two columns: Type and Title.
Within ‘Type’ there are three things you can include:
H to represent heading (e.g. Participate in Surgical Procedures, NG Insertion)
R to represent rubric (e.g. Procedure, Pre-Procedure)
L to represent list items (e.g. Apply knowledge of anatomy)
The three procedure criteria form a hierarchy. A heading can have multiple rubrics, and a rubric can have multiple list items. Arrange the criteria in your spreadsheet to reflect their nesting hierarchies.
In the 'Title' column enter the information to be uploaded.
When complete, save the file in a CSV format.
|Sample Procedure Form|
On this sample form, the following information was uploaded as procedure attributes:
H: Participate in Surgical Procedures
(ME1.3.2) Apply knowledge...
(ME3.4.2) Perform procedural tasks...
Use common surgical instruments...
Tip: You can use the same file for multiple procedures if they share the same heading, rubric, and list information.
Uploading Procedure Attributes
- Ensure you are in a Program Coordinator or Program Director role.
- Navigate to Admin>Manage Courses/Programs.
- Scroll down or type in text and click on the relevant program name to select it.
- Click on ‘CBME’ on the tab menu.
- Click on ‘Contextual Variable Responses’ on the second tab menu.
- From the list of contextual variables, click on ‘Procedure’.
- Beside each procedure you will see a small black up arrow beside a green disk icon.
- Click on the up arrow to upload a .csv file of information for each procedure.
- Either choose your file name from a list or drag and drop a file into place.
- Use the dropdown menu to select the EPA to apply your procedure attributes to.
- Click ‘Save and upload criteria’.
Repeat this process for each procedure and each EPA. Remember, a program can use the same procedure attributes for multiple procedures and EPAs if appropriate.
Managing Existing Procedure Attributes
You can view what attributes were already uploaded to a procedure by clicking on the green check mark in the criteria column. You can review the criteria posted for a specific EPA and opt to replace the criteria for that specific EPA.
Completing and Uploading the Procedure Attributes Template